Bart, Bert...Bort?

Until you are faced with it, you never think about how hard it is to name your child. I mean, I always thought I had names picked out since I was young, but now those names seem immature and silly. Do you name your child after a family member or someone who has influenced you or do you just pick a name that sounds good out of a book? Can you really know for sure if the name you pick is going to influence how people see them or treat them? You have to think about unfortunate nicknames they might get saddled with. Even their initials can prove problematic. Other kids can be so cruel sometimes.

I guess it all comes down to picking a name that you like. One that you can stand hearing for a long time and hope that your child can as well. Any advice from other parents out there? How did you choose your child's name?

4 comments:

The Leskos said...

I am with you! We are starting that conversation and man is it hard. I may have had names picked out but it was before I had a husband picked out and for some reason he doesn't like my choices :) hehe. I have started looking online just looking at name after name and saying them out loud. I think we might have made a little progress last night :). good luck!

Felicia said...

My parents asked me for input when Cassandra was about to be born, and my offer was "Gargamel," i.e. the sworn sorcerer enemy of the Smurfs (perhaps I was lamenting the passing of my time as an only child? hehe!).

For some reason my parents passed, so it's still available. :)

Jessica said...

Jessie is a nice name. Thomas Thomhouser has a nice ring to it as well. I think you were going to be either a Luke or a Spencer if you were a boy, so those are still out there. How about Beck?
Becko? Gene?

Jessica said...

you know, it is August now and you could post something this month! :)